Easy, Yummy, Health-conscious Chocolate Chip Brownie Recipe
Forget what you know about choco chip brownies.
You’ve always felt guilty whenever you indulged in a slice or two of this dessert, thinking, This is so sinful for my health! We’re here to tell you that you can enjoy utterly delicious brownies without the health guilt. And the best part? The recipe’s so simple, you can bake ‘em in a jiffy.
The key is in the ingredients. We made a couple of swaps in favor of more wholesome plant-based components for this recipe. Instead of refined white sugar or high-fructose corn syrup, we’re using coconut sugar, which undergoes very little processing and retains its nutrients like magnesium, potassium, zinc, and antioxidants.
More importantly, we’re ditching butter and vegetable oil completely! Instead, we’re using Made Mindful Virgin Coconut Oil as our baking fat. Why is this better? Here are a few good reasons:
- Butter and VCO were thought to be similar in terms of their effects on our cholesterol. But a 2018 study found that VCO did better than butter in raising “good cholesterol” (HDL) and lowering “bad cholesterol” (LDL). That’s two brownie points for VCO!
- Palm oil – and in fact many other vegetable oils – are also similar to VCO in terms of fatty content. But much of the palm oil we see in the market today is highly processed. The crude oil undergoes chemical processing like flavor refining, degumming, bleaching, and deodorizing. By contrast, Made Mindful VCO does not undergo any chemical processing at all. It’s extracted using a completely mechanical procedure without the use of chemicals, resulting in a pure oil with no additives.
- Another thing you should watch out for is oil hydrogenation, a process that turns healthy fats into harmful trans fatty acids. Also known as trans fats, these are the worst fats for human health, increasing our risk for heart problems, stroke, and hypertension. Sadly, many of the oil or oil-based products in the market have undergone full or partial hydrogenation. One of the exceptions is virgin coconut oil!
- Finally, this may not be health-related but it should speak to the conscience: The production of butter and palm oil contributes much more to climate change than VCO does. Dairy farms produce greenhouse gasses especially through the bodily emissions of cattle. Meanwhile, palm oil plantations are a major driver of deforestation and animal extinction in Southeast Asian countries. This is why Made Mindful VCO is the more eco-conscious alternative. We source it from Filipino farmers who are stewards of agriculture in Quezon and Bicol provinces. No animals or rainforests are harmed.
- After replacing butter or vegetable oils with Made Mindful Virgin Coconut Oil, and after knowing the benefits, you can enjoy your dessert in peace! Now let’s get baking.
Related: The Best and Worst Oils for Cooking & Baking
CHOCOLATE CHIP BROWNIES
with Made Mindful Virgin Coconut Oil
1 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose or wholewheat flour
1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
1 cup Made Mindful Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped, divided
- Preheat the oven to 300 F / 150 C. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with non-stick baking paper, leaving an overhang on the sides.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift the cocoa powder and flour to remove lumps and whisk together.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until light and smooth. Add the sugar, VCO, vanilla, and salt. Whisk until smooth.
4. Whisk in half of the cocoa powder mix. Fold in the rest of the mix with the chocolate chips and walnuts, using a spoon or spatula. Save 1 tablespoon each of the chocolate chips and walnuts for the top.
5. Spread the brownie batter into the pan and sprinkle in the reserved chocolate chips and walnuts.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or the top bounces back when slightly pressed. The edges will pull slightly away from the sides.
7. Let cool to room temperature before slicing. Enjoy!
Make this yummy dessert on days when you deserve a treat, or bake them as gifts on special occasions like Valentine’s Day.
Want more recipes with mindful ingredients? Find some easy-to-make dishes using Made Mindful VCO here, or sign up for our newsletter to get our Mindful Living Guide that includes healthy, yummy recipes!